Missing W-2 / Prior year Tax Return Copies
We Can Help if W-2s Are Missing
In most cases you get your W-2 forms by the end of January. Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, shows your income and the taxes withheld from your pay for the year. You need your W-2 form to file an accurate tax return.
If you haven’t received your form by mid-February, here’s what you should do:
• Contact your employer. Ask your employer (or former employer) for a copy. Be sure that they have your correct address.
• After Feb. 23. If you can’t get a copy from your employer, call the IRS at 800-829-1040 after Feb. 23. The IRS will send a letter to your employer on your behalf. You’ll need the following when you call:
o Your name, address, Social Security number and phone number;
o Your employer’s name, address and phone number;
o The dates you worked for the employer; and
o An estimate of your wages and federal income tax withheld in 2014. You can use your final pay stub for these amounts.
• File on time. Your tax return is normally due on or before April 15, 2015. Use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, if you don’t get your W-2 in time to file. Estimate your wages and taxes withheld as best as you can. The IRS may need more time to process your return while it verifies your information. If you can’t finish your tax return by the due date, you can ask for more time to file. Get an extra six months by filing Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. You can also e-file a request for more time. You can do this for free with IRS Free File.
• Correct if necessary. You may need to correct your tax return if you get your missing W-2 after you file. If the tax information on the W-2 is different from what you originally reported, you may need to file an amended tax return. Use Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return to make the change.
Of course we will be happy to assist you in your request for a missing W-2.
How to Get a Copy of Your Prior Year Tax Information
There are many reasons you may need a copy of your tax return information from a prior year. You may need it when applying for a student loan, home mortgage or for a VISA. If you don’t have your copy, the IRS can help. It’s easy to get a free transcript from the IRS. Here are several ways for you to get what you need:
- Tax Return Transcript. A return transcript shows most line items from your tax return just as you filed it. It also includes forms and schedules you filed. However, it does not reflect changes made to the return after you filed it. In most cases, your tax return transcript will have all the information a lender or other agency needs.
- Tax Account Transcript. This transcript shows any adjustments made by you or the IRS after you filed your return. It shows basic data, like marital status, type of return, adjusted gross income and taxable income.
How to Get a Transcript. You can request transcripts online, by phone or by mail. Both types of transcripts are free of charge. They are available for the most current tax year after the IRS has processed the return. You can also get them for the past three tax years.
Order online. Use the ‘Get Transcript’ tool available on the Useful Links tab above.....scroll to Get Transcripts. You can use this tool to confirm your identity and to immediately view and print copies of your transcript in a single session for free. The tool is available for five types of tax records: tax account transcript, tax return transcript, record of account, wage and income and verification of non-filing.
Order by phone. Call 800-908-9946. A recorded message will guide you through the process.
Order by mail. The easy way to order your transcript by mail is to use the “Get Transcript by Mail” online option on IRS.gov. On the other hand, you can complete and mail Form 4506T-EZ to get your tax return transcript. Use Form 4506-T to request your tax account transcript by mail.
- How to Get a Tax Return Copy. Actual copies of your tax returns are generally available for the current tax year and as far back as six years. The IRS fee per copy is $50 (Heemer Klein saves copies of your tax return for a minimum of 5 years). We can mail a request to the IRS by filing Form 4506 to request a copy of your tax return.
Delivery times for online and phone orders typically take 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives the request. You should allow 30 days to receive a transcript ordered by mail and 75 days for copies of your tax return. You can print tax forms online at our Useful Links tab....scroll to Tax Forms and Publications.
If you found this Tax Tip helpful, please share it through your social media platforms.